Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Kiss/Jump in/the Rain



Today was the wettest day where I live in nine years. Which is good, because we've been in a drought for probably even longer than that. Apart from that fact though, I had a really hard time recognising today that the rain was not an evil force coming to destroy precious moments of my life.

So I've compiled a list of things that would probably make me appreciate rain a more, which will make me hope for rain in the future.

  1. Puddle-jumping
I cannot actually remembering ever jumping in a puddle for fun. Ever. Even as a kid, when I wasn't worried about wrecking my shoes and did not possess the forethought to not soak the hems of the pants that I'd have to wear all day, I didn't jump in puddles. I'm pretty sure if I had I would've gotten into trouble and I was pretty much a stickler for the rules as a wee one. This makes me rather sad and I feel like I've missed out on a pretty basic kid right of passage.

Next time it rains I will be jumping in a puddle; suede shoes, soggy pants, rebellion and all.



2. Kiss the Rain

Remember the Billie Myers song? Ever actually heard the Billie Myers song? I'm not sure if you would have, because I got it from my aunt, who had it on a Top 50 Summer '98 of Britain CD which she bought, appropriately, in England. I loved that song when I was younger, as in, eight years old. It seemed to hold so much passion and longing. He really seemed to really miss this girl. I mean, take a look at those lyrics.

Hello...
Can you hear me?

Am I getting through to you?

Hello...
Is it late there?
Is there laughter on the line?
Are you sure you're there alone?
'Cause I'm trying to explain
Something's wrong
You just don't sound the same

Why don't you

Why don't you
Go outside
Go outside

Kiss the rain
Whenever you need me
Kiss the r
ain
Whenever I'm gone too long
If your lips feel lonely and thirsty
Kiss the rain
And wait for the dawn
Keep in mind
We're under the same sky
And the
night's
As empty for me as for you
If you feel
You can't wait till morning
Kiss the rain
Kiss the rain
Kiss t
he rain

Hello...
Do you miss me?
I hear you say you do
But not the way I'm missing you

What's new?
How's the weathe
r?
Is it stormy where you are?
You sound so close but it feels like you're so far
Oh, would it mean anything
If you knew
What I'm left imagining
In my mind, my mind?
Would you go
Would you go
Kiss the rain

As you fall
Over me
Think of me
Think of me
Think of me
Only me
Kiss the rain
Whenever you need me
Kiss the rain
Whenever I'm gone too long
If your lips
Feel hungry and tempted
Kiss the rain
And wait for the dawn
Keep in mind
We're under the same sky
And the night's
As empty for me as for you
If you feel you can't wait till morning
Kiss the rain
Kiss the rain
Kiss the rain
Kiss the rain

(Kiss the rain)
(Kiss the rain)
(Kiss the rain)

Hello...
Can you hear me?
Can you hear me?
Can you hear me?

Ok. So their slightly stalkerish. Whatever. I'm into that.

But you know what I'm not into? What absolutely changed my love of the song forever? The fact that Billie Myers is A GIRL. This destroyed me for awhile when I rediscovered the song, at about age 14, complete with album cover picturing FEMALE Billie. A part of my world shifted, and I can still recall the moment when I realised that the picture I had of one of my favourite songs, was in fact, completely fucked. It was a freaking woman singing that stalkerish, needy crap.

Sometimes, I still listen to the song, and pretend that Billie is a man.

Today they played Kiss the Rain at my gym, albeit an upbeat techno version in which the singer sounded very much, undeniably female. And I remembered my childhood dreams of how when I was an adult (now) someone would miss me, call me, and kiss the rain.


Billie Myers Kiss The Rain

One day, when I've met someone worthwhile of sharing lame childhood pre-fantasies with, I'm going to wait till it rains, call them, advise them that we are in fact standing under the same downpour, go outside and make out with the elements.

3. Kiss in the Rain



Not to be confused with Rain Things no. 2, this step is much less weird, as I'll get to actually get onto an actual other person, no. 3 is one of the biggest romantic gestures which I have massive reserves about.

I dislike water. I don't like being cold and I have a ridiculous circulation system which does a crap job of heating my body. So I don't deal well with it either. Add water to coldness and you get an idea of my hell; being outside in the rain.

Also, I don't know if people have noticed this over the years or not, but rain makes people ugly. Mostly. Most people don't look as good when wet, miserable, shivering and streaky. Though some can pull it off*. Am I going to believe that what could be the single most romantic gesture ever to make it's way into my life is going to do so when I'm looking really foul? I doubt it.

This aside, if a guy is willing to go for a snog session in the pouring rain (and yes, Disney says that for a proper kiss in the rain the rain must be falling, heavily) then he's probably not just in it for the looks.

Resolution no. 3: One day, I will be a part of a bonafide kiss in the rain. And it'll be awesome.

Other things to look forward to doing in the rain: working from home and not having to go out in it, buying a collection of colourful umbrellas to go with my pink panda one, collecting rain water from the sky and drinking it immediately, sleeping in to the sound of rain on a day off, baking rain food,

So yeah. Rain. It's got possibilities I guess. Which is good, as they're predicting it here until next week.

BuzzChildxx





No comments:

Post a Comment